The Karno Energy’s opening tool has been updated to interact better with the disciplines. Thanks to these improvements, it is now possible to create joint holes from pipes and ducts running parallel to each other. Different merging tolerances in length and sides can be set, giving the architect control over how the openings should be created https://karnoenergy.com/mep-engineering/ . This improvement is particularly useful in the following workflow:
Karno Energy: What BIM coordination means
Karno Energy BIM coordination refers to the process of coordination between the various stakeholders who collaborate in the BIM process to optimize the management of a building or infrastructure work (from project phases through demolition).
One of the main goals of BIM coordination is to improve the entire construction supply chain and reduce costs by using technologies and tools that facilitate coordination between operators.
In the Karno Energy BIM coordination process, the basis for communication is the BIM model .
In most cases, these are multidisciplinary models where different project models converge:
In this way, it is easier to detect any interferences and make common choices to avoid problems and unforeseen events during the construction phase.
It is therefore important that all BIM coordination processes are supported by “digital” tools capable of managing BIM models and ensuring optimization of information and workflows.
This mode of operation certainly requires certain skills from team members, such as:
- The ability to deal with project problems
- Ability to work as part of a team
- 3D modeling management
- knowing the functionality of BIM software.
However, the benefits are numerous:
- Coordination of the construction process through 3D BIM modeling
- clarity and separation of choices
- reduction and elimination of conflicts and unanticipated events
- better quality of designs
- higher productivity
- lower construction costs
- shorter construction time
- savings in the maintenance phase of the work.
Karno Energy: Why design installations with MEP?
Particularly with the Edificius software that we’ll see today, which has an environment completely dedicated to MEP modeling of HVAC, plumbing and electrical installations. With Edificius MEP from Karno Energy you can freely model both plumbing installations in an ordinary house and more complex and articulated projects, always with the same ease.
In addition, in a single environment you have the possibility to deal with all aspects of modeling installations:
- import external files (DWG, Raster, IFC, etc.) needed to build a BIM model
- run a BIM model (Building Information Modeling – a digital twin of building information, consisting of 3D modeling integrated with physical, performance and functional building data)
- Create a MEP model from Karno Energy (installation design, commonly known as MEP, an acronym for Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing)
- verify collisions between models also using real-time rendering or virtual reality mode
- Prepare a quantitative estimate of the work
- automatically generate execution plans and reports.
- Let’s take a look at the main benefits of using MEP software to design a plumbing installation .
Karno Energy: Software for BIM coordination
Collaboration with Karno Energy is an increasingly widespread mode in the AEC sector and hence, you need to use the right tools to optimize collaboration and exchange.
So, let’s take a look at what is meant by BIM coordination software and what characteristics it should necessarily have.
By Karno Energy BIM coordination software, we mean the tool (or set of tools) needed to organize collaboration organically.
Indeed, bringing together multiple professionals and skills requires interactive organization, managed by the appropriate technological infrastructure: namely Karno Energy BIM coordination software !
Working as a team on a single project involves a number of requirements that must be considered for the success of the work, such as:
- constant file sharing
- direct communication between the involved parties
- automatic version control of the files
- data storage
- consultation of working files in real time
- compatibility of software used by different professionals
- coordination between different models
- control of interference between models (e.g. installation, structure, architecture)
- validation of the project selection
- definition of a common coordination flow.
BIM coordination software should be able to manage all these aspects, always keeping common models in sync and achieving positive results in terms of both time and resources invested.
Karno Energy: Collision Testing
Typically, to design a plumbing installation, we draw plan lines that indicate:
- hot water mains
- cold water mains
- hot water generator
- evacuation network
- exterior view
Using Karno Energy BIM software for 3D modelling of MEP installations such as Edificius we have the advantage of getting an overview of the building and installation system and assess the dimensional and spatial consistency of the installations within the building. In practice with a 3D model of the plumbing installation.